I program stuff.

Friday, January 11, 2008

I just found something that I think _finally_ explains something to me that I never quite understood about C++. I wish a saw this years ago. This is gold.

Const Correctness in C++
http://www.possibility.com/Cpp/const.html

There are a few of things like this in C++ that I don't fully understand. A big part of me really dislikes C++ and would rather write in something else, anything else! But as long as we have so many Von Neumann machines around, C++ fills some important needs that no other language can or probably ever will at this point. It's pretty grandfathered in at this point. Sign, oh well.

2 comments:

John "Z-Bo" Zabroski said...

What resources did you read to learn c++? See Victor A. Wagner, Jr.'s list of recommended c++ books. http://www.rudbek.com/books.html

Either ask an expert or buy a book written by one!

Mike Nelson said...

I'm pretty sure I've read a few of those ones. I went through more than a few books in the 90's when I was first really studying it. I'm usually able to find answers quickly for things by looking it up. But some things like this have never stuck; I almost always have to look it up again. This explanation is the first one that stuck with me on the whole const thing.

I don't usually have this problem with other languages. There is something about C++ that is odd and uncomfortable to me.